The Benefits of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Policies
Allowing employees to bring their own devices for work purposes offers the following potential benefits:
- Increased employee satisfaction – Employees who have the autonomy to choose what types of technology they can use often feel less “locked in”. This increased freedom also helps boost employee satisfaction.
- Increased innovation – Many employees who choose to bring their own devices to work do so because they feel like their technology is more cutting-edge than what is readily available. Because of this, enterprises can also potentially benefit from the resulting innovation of using the latest technology.
- Equipment cost savings – By offering employees the freedom to bring their own devices to work, some of the cost burden is shifted to the user. This is especially true in cases when the employee is fully liable for covering the costs of the hardware, software, and data usage.
The Biggest Considerations Before Implementing BYOD
- Security – Security is the most important consideration when implementing a BYOD policy. External devices that are introduced to your internal network also come with a level of security risk. Therefore, a proactive mobile security plan and comprehensive network security implementation may be necessary to augment your BYOD policies.
- Setup / Maintenance Cost – The cost of implementing a secure BYOD policy is also a very important consideration for organizations. Other factors that could potentially affect the cost are hardware costs, software costs, and service costs to implement your BYOD policy.
- Ease of Access – Designing the right BYOD policy will ensure your end users will be able to utilize their own devices on your organization’s network securely without hassle. There are other contextual factors to consider also like location, device types, and role-based access.
How We Help You Implement a Secure & Cost Effective BYOD Policy
The first step of our BYOD solution process is understanding your unique business requirements. Some organizations adopt a more open BYOD policy which may only require lower-level integrations. On the other hand, many organizations demand more security out of their BYOD policies, and therefore need a more robust IT infrastructure. CTC Technologies helps organizations that need any and all levels of integration.
After understanding your business requirements, our team will come up with a BYOD implementation plan that will outline the solutions needed to identify, authenticate, and authorize devices within your network. Reliable management and enforcement of your BYOD policies is crucial to your network’s security, and our CTC-designed solutions deliver exactly that.
It is important to note that a BYOD policy can be successfully implemented if and only if your existing network architecture is following the best practices set for your campus, branch office, Internet edge, or converged access implementations.
BYOD Solution Components
A true BYOD implementation is not a single product, rather, an integrated solution works across your entire network. Our BYOD solutions require the collective integration of the following common network components:
- Access points
- LAN controllers
- User end devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones)